Customers seeking to travel on Bus Éireann Cork city services with their mobility scooter must obtain a mobility scooter travel card from our customer care department before travel. The reason for this is because some mobility scooters are too large to fit on Bus Éireann city services.
Our Training Supervisors will assess the mobility scooter and find out if the scooter you seek to travel on is the correct size to travel on our Cork city services. Once the assessment has passed, the customer will be issued with a mobility scooter travel card, which will allow the user to travel on our Cork city services.
To arrange an assessment of a mobility scooter, customers should contact our customer care team on 0818-836611. Our phone lines are open from 07:00-19:00 Monday to Friday and 08:00-18:00 on Saturday, Sunday and on Public Holidays. Customers can also email queries to email@example.com. We are allowing the usage of mobility scooters, with a valid travel card on our Cork city services on a trial basis. After this trial period, we will review the roll out of this policy on all of our other city and town services.
Rules for bus travel with a mobility scooter:
- Bus Éireann accept Class 2 mobility scooters, with a maximum length of 1m, width of 0.6m and turning radius of 1.2m.
- Once the assessment of the mobility scooter has passed, the user will be issued with a mobility scooter travel card. The user should show this card to the driver so that they can travel on Bus Éireann’s Cork city services. This card is valid for 5 years or for a shorter period if the scooter has been changed within this timeframe.
- For safety reasons, while travelling on our Cork city services, we recommend that the scooter is secured and put into the designated wheelchair space. The motor must be turned off and the scooter parked in gear with the brake on to avoid movement.
- If the wheelchair space is already occupied, then the user with the mobility scooter will need to travel on the next available service.
- To report a lost or stolen mobility scooter travel card, please contact Bus Éireann’s customer care team who will re-issue a new mobility scooter travel card.
Terms and Conditions of Assessment Certificate for Travel
- The card must be signed and can only be used by the person named and issued with it.
- This card does not allow the bearer to travel for free.
- The mobility scooter must not be overloaded and in good working order.
- Drivers have the right to refuse access for safety reasons.
- The mobility scooter travel card is issued subject to the bye laws, regulations and terms and conditions in the publications and notices of Bus Éireann. If there is any abuse of this card, it will be withdrawn.