Bus Éireann has been a service provider to the State since 1987. The company provides three products – Public Service Obligation routes (PSO), Commercial and the School Transport Scheme (STS). In 2018, 83 million passenger journeys were made across all services, making us Ireland’s largest integrated bus and coach network outside of Dublin.
Bus Éireann takes great pride in providing vital public transport to people in towns, villages and cities across the country in an efficient, effective and safe manner on our integrated network of services.
Over 2,800 people are directly employed by Bus Éireann, while we also work with over 7,500 people indirectly employed in local communities, making Bus Éireann one of the most recognised and respected brands in Ireland.
In conjunction with our stakeholders, Bus Éireann recently implemented one of the most ambitious business transformation programmes ever implemented by a State company over the past thirty years.
- Bus Éireann’s passenger growth numbers are now at their highest since 2008. In the last year, overall passenger numbers have increased by 6.3% ‐ to 83.6 million.
- With the support of the National Transport Authority (NTA), 96 new buses will be introduced countrywide in 2019.
- This investment will support us in our aim to achieve a fully accessible and environmentally sustainable fleet. Currently, 86% of our buses are accessible, and the figure rises to 100% in regional cities and towns.
- 43% of Bus Eireann fleet have cleaner Euro VI engine emissions standards and this will be substantially increased in line with investment in 2019, and in the coming years.
- As part of the company’s transformation process, a new senior management team with a number of new positions, were introduced.
Amongst the other customer service enhancements we plan to introduce to sustain this growth are increased frequency on many city and regional routes, continued investment in new fleet and new customer-friendly ticketing technology.