M3 Corridor Service Improvements: Cavan & Virginia
As part of an overall enhancement of services along the M3 Corridor Bus Éireann in conjunction with the National Transport Authority are pleased to announce the introduction of an enhanced bus service for our customers in Kells and its environs. The amended services will be introduced on Sunday, 17 September 2017.
This service improvement will see the current Route 109: Cavan – Virginia – Kells – Navan – Dunshaughlin – Dublin split into 3 separate routes, which will individually focus on certain sections of the corridor to provide an enhanced service including higher frequency, longer operating hours and quicker journey times to our customers. These changes complement the improvements introduced on Route 109a: Kells – Navan – Dunshaughlin – Ratoath – Ashbourne – Dublin Airport – DCU – City Centre during late 2016 and will deliver a 24/7 bus service from Navan to/from the city centre.
How does these changes affect Cavan & Virginia?
From the 17 September 2017 the main service linking Cavan & Virginia to Dublin City Centre will be Route 109x which will provide an hourly service to Dublin City Centre. Route 109a will remain unchanged and provide connections to Dublin Airport at Kells
This service will follow the routing of the current Route 109 between Cavan and Kells before accessing the M3 Motorway south of Kells to continue its journey to the city stopping at Blanchardstown before entering the city via the Finglas QBC & O’Connell St before terminating at Busaras. This service will operate an hourly frequency from 04:45 from Cavan until 22:45 ex the city centre. Additional services will operate in the morning & evening peak.
This route will continue to operate its current timetable and provide an hourly service 24/7.
Connections to Navan
Combined Route 109 & 109a services will provide linkages between Kells and Navan 24/7 with a service every 30 mins during the day and hourly throughout the night. Customers from Cavan & Virginia can travel on Route 109x services to Kells and interchange onto Route 109 & 109a to Navan & Dunshaughlin. A limited number of Route 109x services will operate directly via Navan.
Routes 107, 108 & 187 -These routes will continue to operate as at present
Detailed timetables are available at www.buseireann.ie/M3
Services to the Mater Hospital
As part of this service change Route 109x will provide enhanced linkages to the Mater Hospital. However the location of stops for certain services will change:
- Route 109x – This closest inbound stop to the Mater Hospital will be Phibsboro & outbound at Lower Dorset St. Both stops are a short walk to the hospital
Services to Third Level Colleges in Dublin City
Routes 109a & 109x will provide close connectivity to numerous third level colleges including the following:
- Dublin City University – Route 109a operates directly to the university from Kells, Navan & Dunshaughlin. Customers from Cavan & Virginia can interchange onto this route in Kells.
- Blanchardstown Institute of Technology – Route 109 & 109x all serve the Blanchardstown Slip Rd stop which is a short walk from the college.
- Trinity College – Route 109x stops at Busaras a short walk to the University
- University College Dublin – Certain Route 109x peak hour services operate direct to the campus
- Dublin Institute of Technology – Route 109x stops at Broadstone a short walk to both the Bolton St & Grangegorman Campuses, while Route 109 & 109x routes stop at O’Connell St close to the Cathal Brugha Street Campus
- All our city centre stops are located close to Dublin Bus & Luas stops to facilitate interchange on these services to travel to other third level institutions
Leapcard is available on all services and offers best value to our customers, an Orange Zone 7 Day Ticket offers unlimited travel on all services Bus Éireann services from Cavan & Virginia for 7 consecutive for only €72.50. All Leapcard tickets can be bought in any Payzone Leap Agent.
Taxsaver Monthly & Annual Tickets provide the best value for regular customers and details are available at www.taxsaver.ie
If you have any feedback in relation to the revised service offering please forward your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bus Éireann would like to thank our customers for their continued support of the public transport network in Cavan & Virginia and we look forward to welcoming you on board our improved services in the near future.
The service enhancements on Route’s 109, 109X & NX will be introduced on Sunday, 17 September 2017 and have been approved by the National Transport Authority.
Monday, 4 September, 2017